Rural Chartered Surveyors offering professional land agency services in the North East.
Major announcements from DEFRA
The first week of January 2022 has opened with a considerable number of major announcements from DEFRA regarding the emerging new schemes, existing schemes and agreements within the Agricultural Transition Period.
Here we take a look at the new information.
Firstly: There are 3 New Schemes
- Sustainable Farming Incentive; This scheme will reward farmers for taking actions to include reducing inorganic fertiliser and pesticide use, taking care of our soils and improving farmland biodiversity, water quality, air quality and carbon sequestration.
- Local Nature Recovery: This scheme will contribute to targets for trees, peatland restoration, habitat creation and restoration and natural flood management.
- Landscape Recovery: This scheme tackles a radical and large-scale approach to producing environmental and climate outcomes through land use change and habitat and ecosystem restoration.
Full details are available on the Defra blog and can be found by clicking here
Secondly: Revised Payment Rates for Countryside Stewardship for existing and new schemes, if your agreement started;
- On or before 1 January 2022 - if a payment rate has increased, that increased rate will be paid with effect from 1 January 2022. If a payment rate has decreased, the original payment rate for the agreement will continue to be paid, not the decreased rate.
- On or after 1 January 2023 - all of the new revenue payment rates, both increased and decreased, will apply from the start of the agreement.
Full details available on the Gov.uk website, to read please click here.
There will be flexibility within agreements starting from 1st January 2021; that if successful in an application to one of the 3 new schemes then a Countryside Stewardship agreement could be terminated early without financial penalty.
As with all matters within the Agricultural Transition Period, professional and bespoke advice suited to the individuals business will be needed.
Please contact Alan Falshaw on 07425186127 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org for an initial free confidential discussion.
Get In Touch
We are a firm of Rural Chartered Surveyors and Estate Agents providing a range of professional services.